|Posted by Robert Booth on September 22, 2012 at 9:00 AM|
THE ESSENTIAL 9 COFFEE RULES!!
1.Use the VERY BEST freshly roasted coffee beans you can afford: "rested" for a minimum of 5 days and roasted to a profile which enhances their flavour-characteristics.
2. Use the absolute very best coffee grinder you can afford!
3. Grind the coffee just seconds before you use it to make coffee: green coffee beans keep for 3 years, roasted coffee is at its best for 3 weeks and ground coffee goes stale in 3 MINUTES!!
4. When making “stove-top or filter” coffee use about 1 very heaped tablespoon of coffee beans for 1 small cup of coffee (120ml).
5. When making “stove-top or filter” coffee, use no more than 120ml of water per very heaped table spoon of coffee beans (do I repeat myself? No, this is REALLY important!)
6. Grind the beans to suit the coffee style you are making: fine for espresso coarser for “drip” and “filter” coffee.
7. Use the very best water you can get:
tap-water is not always free of taints, so, if your water-quality may be doubtful, filter your water or buy bottled water.
8. Coffee oils do not like cooling down quickly: the cup should be made from a thick ceramic or insulated glass/stainless steel and make sure you warm your cup before pouring the coffee into it.
9. Do NOT let your coffee sit on the grinds or stew on the hotplate; it WILL get bitter!
I hate rules, normally, but these work!